So after handing in my final design for my headdress and makeup I had a well
Deserved break for Christmas. Then on Boxing Day the work began again! Shopping for products, tools and materials to make my design come to life. As I was down south I actually found a hobby craft, which I could have spent all day in! The only craft shops I can find close to home are shops such as the range. So I bought lots of things to try help me cate my design. The most useful one being a mini glue gun.
I found it really hard to understand how to start off my base and shape the felt and buckram. I scoured youtube and the Internet for help but nothing I found seemed relevant or helpful. So I ended up cutting the felt and buckram around the shape of the block I was using. Hopefully I haven’t done it to wrong! Tomorrow I am having a trial fitting and makeup application with my chosen model so I have time to make any adjustments.
I started my base by cutting to shape and then covering with a green cardigan that I cut up and sewed to the buckram and felt. The soft cardigan will make the headdress more comfy able to wear as the buckram base felt scratchy and could irritate the model.
I then went on to attach part of a wrapping paper tube to the centre of the head. I attached using my hot glue gun.
I then went on to glue gun wooden skewers to the base to make a frame. I pierced the sharp ends into the polystyrene ball which acted as a good anchor.
I secured the joins with the glue gun and once dry wrapped with a thin wire to hold together.
I repeated this all the way around making a cube like structure. I wanted to make a very sturdy and strong structure to hold together and keep my design upright.
I then also strengthened with cardboard and attached with the glue gun.
I then went on to make my tiny apples out of small cotton balls from hobbycraft. These we very time consuming to paint all angles and allow to dry. I painted them all red, added a piece of painted wooden skewer and added a small piece of green material styled into a leaf.
I then made a small tree out of a wrapping paper tube painted brown. And a hairspray lid covered in wool from a scarf and painted green.
I had a lot of trouble trying to track down a sturdy but shapeable material to create the shape of my design. After realising oasis might be quiet heavy I decided on chicken wire. I purchased mine from a local agricultural shop.
I cut it into strips glue gunned to the headdress base and then to the top of the skewer structure. After doing this all around the structure I then filled with bubble wrap and left over wrapping paper.
Creating the evil apple!
Using a plastic apple I purchased from eBay I covered it in back paint from the pound shop mixed with Pva glue and then sprinkled on black hobbycraft glitter. It took a while to completely cover as I had to do bits at a time. I then added a leaf that I covered black and with glitter.
Covering the structure was defiantly the trickiest thing about the whole process! I had originally wanted to cover it in fake grass but then discovered it would be to heavy. So after days of thinking I thought about dolls house grass!! So I took to eBay and ordered some. When it arrived there was less than I expected to had to be realy careful whe applying it.
I cut it into strips and part glue gunned and part sewed to the chicken wire frame. I discovered the glue gun melted through the grass to had to be very careful.
This is going to be a very long blog post so I have decided to split it into two parts. I have tried to include most of the structural work in part one and part 2 will be more of the decorative side! So keep your eyes peeled for the second post which I will do very soon!!
Thankyou for reading!
Natalie Jade xxx